The provincial government announced on Friday, September 3 that, due to an increase in COVID-19 numbers, and an increase in hospital admissions, temporary health measures are being re-introduced. This re-introduction is being put in place to reduce the transmission of the COVID-19 virus and to help alleviate stress on the Alberta health care system.
These temporary measures come into effect September 4 at 8:00am.
Temporary measures include:
- Masks will be mandatory in all indoor public spaces and workplaces.
- Schools will not be required to implement masking. School boards can continue to set COVID-19 management policies as they deem appropriate.
- Restaurants, cafés, bars, pubs, nightclubs and other licensed establishments will be required to end alcohol service at 10:00pm.
- Unvaccinated Albertans are strongly recommended limiting their indoor gatherings to close contacts of only two cohort families, up to a maximum of 10 people.
- “This is essentially now a crisis of the unvaccinated,” Premier Jason Kenney said at the Friday news conference.
- Employers are encouraged to pause their plans to have staff return to work and, instead, continue with work-from-home measures.
- If employees are working on location, they must mask for all indoor settings, except in work stations or where two-metre physical distancing or adequate physical barriers are in place.