Residents can now apply for Residential Parking Permits!

The Town of Drumheller will be launching a trial period for a paid parking program throughout designated parking areas in the Drumheller Valley. This trial period will begin October 2, 2023, and will operate until October 31, 2023. Residents can apply for a Residential Parking Permit, which will allow residents to park in lots and areas designated for paid parking.

Short-Term Rentals

The Town of Drumheller Council and Administration are seeking to regulate Short-Term Rentals (STRs) within the Drumheller Valley. This regulation will enhance the safety of residents and guests, promote fair competition in the hospitality industry and protect residential neighbourhoods. 

On July 10, 2023, Council gave first reading to a new Business License Bylaw that contains provisions for the regulation of Short-Term Rentals.

The Town is seeking feedback from residents and local businesses on how best to regulate Short-Term Rentals within our community! Review the draft Business License Bylaw 

Administration will be hosting two Open House sessions on August 23, the first from 10:00am until 2:00pm, and the second from 4:00pm until 7:00pm. Following that, there will be a Public Hearing on September 5, 2023

Our Economic Development team will also be gathering and accepting feedback through survey. These questions mirror those that will be asked at the Open House sessions, but are accessible for those unable to attend in-person. This survey can be accessed by clicking here.

By regulating Short-Term Rentals, Council hopes to achieve the following benefits in our community: 

Enhance Safety

Requiring all hosts to meet safety measures relating to fire and emergency situations in order to protect guests, hosts and the community at large.


Promote Fair Competition

Ensuring all hosts providing short term accommodation provide the same standard of safety and accountability. Fair competition benefits both consumers and hosts by providing quality assurance.

Protect Neighbourhoods

Locating Short-Term Rentals within our community to better enforce the rules within the Community Standards Bylaw.                  



Key Changes

Below are the current requirements proposed by Town Administration. 

Administration is suggesting that all Short-Term Rental hosts must:

  • Acknowledge that they have read, understand and will comply with all minimum requirements of the National Fire Code (these requirements will be provided in a Good Host Guide, which will be made available for all Short-Term Rental hosts);
  • Provide a floor plan with photos of all bedrooms and facilities intended to be used by the guest(s);
  • Obtain permission from the condominium association, homeowner's association, property management company, or property owner (as applicable);
  • Include the Business License number in all advertisement for the Short-Term Rental;
  • Post the following in a conspicuous location:
    • The name, phone number and email address of an emergency contact person who can be reached 24 hours per day during rental periods;
    • A map detailing emergency evacuation routes in case of emergency;
    • The occupancy limit, in accordance with the National Fire Code; and
    • A copy of the valid License.
  • Only operate one (1) Short-Term Rental per parcel;
  • Not allow overlapping bookings. 

Bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, hotels and motels will not be affected by this Bylaw. These establishments will continue to be regulated through the Town of Drumheller Land Use Bylaw. 

These proposed changes have not been commented on by Town Council. Council would like to receive feedback from residents and business owners before adopting regulations for Short-Term Rentals. 

Survey on Short-Term Rentals

take a short survey to give us your feedback on short-term rentals. the survey can be found here. 

Please forward any feedback and questions to:
Town of Drumheller 
224 Centre Street,
Drumheller, AB T0J 0Y4 
Phone: (403) 823-1316

I Want To