Start a Business


In the heart of the Canadian Badlands, the Drumheller Valley offers spectacular unique scenery and fascinating experiences. Within easy driving distance of Banff, Calgary, and Red Deer; Drumheller offers a world of startling contrasts as rolling fields suddenly give way to steep, dry coulees ridged with the strata of hundreds of years of erosion by time, wind and water. Through it all, the tranquil Red Deer River gently makes its way through our valley. 

Drumheller also offers prospective investors a centralized location with city class services and infrastructure as well as competitive tax rates, bespoke incentive programs, reasonably priced land and a skilled and available workforce.  

There is nowhere quite like the Drumheller Valley, and we want you to be a part of our story.  

Starting a business in Drumheller? Here’s what you need.  

Step #1

Determine which Business Licence you are applying for by reading Business Licence 06.23 and speaking with Town of Drumheller staff. 

if you are applying for a Short-Term Rental, you can find more information on our webpage here. 

if you are applying as a Mobile Vendor, you can find more information here. 

Step #2

If required, obtain and submit a development permit application.  

Step #3

Your development permit application will then go to the Municipal Planning Commission (MPC) or through the Development Authority.  

Step #4

After your development permit is approved by Development Authority, you will then purchase a business licence. All business licences expire on December 31st of each year.

please see below for the applicable application form and fee for each type of business licence.

Business Licence Fees




General Business License





     Micro-Business (under $30,000 in Revenue) 




Temporary License Fees

     1 Day


     1 Week


     1 Month


     4 Months


Mobile Vendors

     Annual License


     Event License


     Youth License (Under 16 yrs.)


Short-Term Rentals

     Principal Resident STR


     Non-Principal Resident STR


      Non-Resident STR



       Busking License


       Charitable / non-profit organization        


       Special Event License




I Want To