On November 12, the Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, announced that the Town of Drumheller has moved from "open" to "enhanced" for the first time with 11 positive cases of COVID-19, or 122.1 per 100,000 people. The enhanced restrictions set by Alberta Health Services (AHS) include both mandatory and voluntary measures to prevent the spread:
- Restaurants, bars, lounges and pubs must stop liquor sales by 10pm and close by 11pm - applies to Class A, B or C licences (Nov 13-27).
- 15-person limit on social and family gatherings - indoors and outdoors - where people are mixing and mingling.
- 50-person limit on indoor and outdoor wedding ceremonies and funeral services.
- Faith-based gatherings limited to 1/3 capacity at one time.
- No social gatherings inside your home or outside of your community. Instead, socialize outdoors or in structured settings, like restaurants or other business that are subject to legal limits and take steps to prevent transmission.
- Limit of 3 cohorts: your core household, your school, and one other sport or social cohort. Young children who attend child care can be part of 4 cohorts.
- Wear a mask in all indoor work settings, except when alone in a workspace or an appropriate barrier is in place.
- Employers in office settings should implement measures to reduce the number of employees in the workplace at one time.
Metro areas of Calgary, Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Grand Prairie, Lethbridge and Red Deer have additional restrictions effective November 13 through to November 27:
- Ban on indoor group fitness classes & team sports
- Ban on group singing, dancing, and performing activities
"We ask that all residents make an effort to limit non-essential travel to metro areas or other hot-spots," says Heather Colberg, Mayor of the Town of Drumheller. "Continue to be diligent on proper hand hygiene, physical distancing and wearing a mask when you cannot be distant."
The Province has indicated that these targeted measures are in place until they see less stress on the health care system. Currently, there are 51 in the ICU.