The Drumheller Family and Community Support Services (FCSS) department plays a significant role in our community, and has recently received a new department title. In an effort to better represent the work being done, which is well beyond the scope of the FCSS remit, and to align with other municipal departments with similar responsibilities, FCSS will now be known as Community Development and Social Planning (CDSP).
Areas that CDSP is responsible for include, but are not limited to:
- Social Research – (e.g. the Community Social Needs Assessment, Rural Homelessness Assessment etc.)
- Preventative social programming for children, youth, families, seniors and the wider community through FCSS
- Community engagement and development (e.g. work to establish a family violence unit and other community committee work)
- Fostering a welcoming and inclusive community where all residents and visitors enjoy a sense of belonging and our diversity is celebrated
- Community events
- Developing a Municipal Poverty Reduction Strategy
- The Community Counselling program
"We recognize the incredible work that this team has been doing stretches well beyond the realm of FCSS, which is the reason for the rebranding" states CAO Darryl Drohomerski.
Since January 2020, the CDSP Team has successfully secured 12 of 21 grant applications with approval pending on several. Many of these grants offer significant funding to further develop and achieve CDSP's community focused objectives and support the work of other community agencies and services. To learn more about Community Development and Social Planning, please visit their web pages.