Municipal Election Information
Municipal elections are held every four years when residents elect one Mayor and six Councillors to a four-year term. In the Drumheller Valley, Council members are elected at-large which means the Mayor and Councillors represent the entire population rather than a geographical ward. October 18, 2021 is the next Municipal Election.
We will continue to update this section with important candidate information, however everything listed below will get you started!
- January 1, 2021 to September 20, 2021 - Nomination Period
- Nomination Papers will be accepted beginning January 4th, 2020
- Nominations will close at 12:00 noon local time on September 20, 2021
- October 18, 2021 - Election Day
Candidate Information - Getting Started
The Candidates Guide to Running for Municipal Office in Alberta is a document produced by the province to help candidates in Alberta to understand the process and legislative requirements for running for municipal office. Candidates are responsible for reading and understanding all legislation associated with Running for Municipal Office.
Please refer to the Government of Alberta website for more informative resources as well as new and ongoing changes to the legislation, and the 'Prospective Candidates' section provides a large amount of resource material
Information about Nomination Papers Form 4 and Form 5
Please refer to the following sections in the Local Authorities Election Act - Current as of September 2020, for important information about filling in the Nomination Papers
To determine if you qualify as a candidate
- Section 21 – Qualification of candidate
- Section 22 – Ineligibility
- Section 23 – Ineligibility for nomination
Instructions on filling out the nomination form
- Section 27 – Form of nomination (Eligibility to vote information Section 47)
- Section 28 - Nominations
Information on assigning an official agent/representative
- Section 68 – Option for Official agent
Penalties for filing a false statement
- Section 151 – Offence candidate's acceptance
Form 4 LGS0753 - Nomination Papers
- This must be signed by 5 electors, who would be eligible to vote in the October 2021 election.
- This form must be sworn before a commissioner for oaths or a Notary Public.
Form 5 LGS12180 - Candidate Information
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions, Town Hall currently is closed to the public.
Nomination Papers (Forms 4 and 5) can be emailed to email@example.com or dropped off in the deposit slot to the right of the front doors of Town Hall. Any question please contact the Returning Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-823-1339
To be eligible to vote, an elector must be
- 18 years old;
- A Canadian Citizen;
- A resident in Alberta; and
- The elector's place of residence must be located in the local jurisdiction on election day (Section 47 of the Local Authorities Election Act)
Voting locations will be announced early 2021.